In the US alone, more than 10 billion animals are slaughtered for human consumption each year -- that's about 1,000,000 animals each hour. Most are raised on factory farms, where they are kept confined, often in enclosures barely larger than they are, so they get no exercise. In fact, they cannot even turn around. Just think that fact through, and you begin to see some of the horrors associated with factory farm practices. Add to that the often inhumane way in which the animals are killed, and it may be enough to make you re-think the practice of eating meat.
There are ways you can get involved in stopping the cruel and inhamane treatment of animals raised for food. For example, you might consider the following:
- Changing your diet to eliminate or at least reduce your meat consumption, perhaps by observing "Meatless Mondays", or choosing more vegetarian options, such as those found here.
- Purchasing meat that is labelled "Certified Humane Raised and Handled," as explained in this link.
- Donating to or volunteering for advocacy organizations that work to ensure that animals raised for food are treated humanely. There are several organizations that work toward this goal, including those listed below.
If you want to know more about the subject of animals raised for food, you may want to visit one or more ot he links below. Please be aware that the information posted on these sites may be very upsetting to read and view. We make it available for your use because it is informative and raises important ethical questions that need to be fully understood, but this information may not be suitable for everyone.
- SOS: Speak Out For Species: This is a Georgia-based organization that aims to defend animals from cruelty and exploitation, reduce animal suffering and encourage compassion for all living beings. This site has good information about animals raised for food and clothing, animals used in product development and testing, and pet overpopulation.
- Humane Society of the United States: This organization is a leader in all aspects of animal welfare, including farm animal protection.
- Farm Sanctuary: The mission of this organization is to protect farm animals from cruelty, inspire change in the way society views and treats farm animals, and promote compassionate vegan living.